Bael tree or Bilva chettu (Telugu) or Bael Mara(Kannada) or Bilva Ped(Hindi) is native to the Indian Subcontinent and is widely grown in various parts of India, as well as in neighboring countries such as Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
It is considered very sacred for Hindus and also literally speaking all the parts of the plant are very useful right from the bark to fruit as it balances all the tri-doshas and is very effective for digestive disorders.
Medicinally, all the parts of the Bael tree – leaves, fruit, bark, and roots are used in preparing various Ayurvedic medicines because of the balancing nature of the three Doshas.
Bael leaf powder can be consumed in different ways
1. Soak 1 teaspoon of bael leaf powder in 1 glass of water overnight and drink the water mix the next day first thing in the morning.
2. For children and for adults for general health – 1 teaspoon powder mix with the required amount of honey and have it first thing in the morning
3. For digestion, constipation, and IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) – have it as decoction – 1 teaspoon in 200ml of water, reduce to 50 ml, and have it lukewarm or hot after food. Have this way twice a day.
4. While traveling soaking, mixing with honey and decoction is difficult then just have 1 teaspoon of powder 1st thing in the morning with warm water.
BENEFITS OF CONSUMING BAEL LEAF POWDER
1. Bael leaves to balance the three doshas – Vata, Kapha, and Pitta thereby very good for general health and cholesterol management.
2. This improves metabolism and so is good for weight loss and weight management.
3. This powder helps is an excellent blood purifier so good for conditions such as diabetes, heart-related conditions, cancer, digestion, and constipation-related issues.
4. Excellent for gum and tooth care.
By: Sailaja Nukala, Founder of Indic Living