Appalu is an all exclusive Andhra delicacy. It is mostly offered as an offering to Lord hanuman. Appalu can be made even by those who don’t know cooking but want to relish sweets. It is a very simple recipe with only 4 major ingredients. Appalu are crispy from outside and soft from inside.
Rice flour-½ cup
Fresh coconut-2 tbsp
1. Mix rice and wheat flours in a bowl.
2. Use 1/4th cup of water to blend coconut in a mixie jar.
3. Add 3/4th cup of water to a vessel and heat on low flame till it boils.
4. Add the blended coconut mixture as well.
5. Now add 1 cup of grated jaggery to the boiling water. Let all the jaggery melt.
6. Add the mixed flour to the boiled syrup water .
7. Turn off flame and quickly mix to get a dough consistency.
8. Let it cool and then make small balls.
9. Heat oil in a pan, flatten the balls and deep fry in oil.
10. Once they turn brownish color, press with another ladle to drain excess oil.
11. Take them out in to a bowl.
12. Appalu are ready.
Recipe Credit: Mrs. Sailaja Nukala